Border staff to strike at airports in Lisbon, Porto, Faro, Funchal, Porto Santo and Ponta Delgada
High risk. Border staff to strike at airports in Lisbon, Porto, Faro, Funchal, Porto Santo and Ponta Delgada until Aug. 31. Workers will strike for two hours daily at unspecified times during this period. You may experience travel disruptions if you’re flying from Portugal to a destination outside the Schengen area. Allow extra time before your scheduled flight departure in case of airport delays.The strike could cause disruption to flights and authorities have warned passengers of long waiting times at Lisbon, Porto, Faro, Funchal, Porto Santo, and Ponta Delgada airports.
Allow additional time to clear check-in, customs, and other passenger processing procedures.
Portugal – Covid travel rules, EU Digital Covid Certificate, restrictions and measures in place.
- Portugal remains a high-risk country, but entry is still granted to arrivals from the EU and Schengen zone if they can show proof of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19 or a negative PCR or antigenic test.
- Arrivals from high-risk countries — defined as countries with 500 cases or more per per 100,000 inhabitants in the past 14 days — must isolate for two weeks. Those on essential business or staying in Portugal for less than 48 hours are exempt.
- Bars, restaurants, shops and cultural venues may operate only at limited capacity, and in many place have to close on weekends at 15:30. Some 46 municipalities, including the capitol Lisbon, have nighttime curfews in place from 23:00 to 05:00.
- Masks must be worn on public transport, in shops, supermarkets and other indoor spaces. They are mandatory outdoors when social distancing is not possible. Maintaining social distance is mandatory, including on the beach.
- Public transport operates at reduced capacity to avoid overcrowding.
Portugal has seen coronavirus infections slowly taper off. Nevertheless, numbers remain high, with authorities recording a seven-day incidence rate per 100,000 residents of over 150 in mid-August.