The fire in Zamora forces to partially cut the Madrid-Galicia AVE line
What to do if there’s a bushfire approaching
If you’re travelling or living somewhere that’s experiencing bushfires, be prepared and informed on how to stay safe. If you find yourself in an area that’s threatened by a bushfire front:
- Track the progress of the fire in the local media.
- Follow the advice and instructions of local authorities at all times.
- Identify your local emergency shelter.
- Pack an evacuation kit. Include things like water, food, first aid, batteries and torches. Keep your passport and documentation on you.
- If you have medication for breathing difficulties, keep it on you at all times.
- Decide whether to leave the area or shelter in place. If in doubt, leave. Late evacuation from a bushfire zone can be more dangerous than sheltering in place.
- Act quickly on evacuation notices. Bushfires can change direction or escalate without warning. If local authorities instruct you to leave the area, do so as soon as possible. Don’t delay.